Thursday, January 07, 2010

GST Rebate Ruling

...is here, courtesy Ms. O'Malley. I'm going to try and give it a read later today, perhaps without success.

FWIW, Kady says:

Will today's ruling affect other political parties?

[...]

...as far as I can tell, it won't, since the circumstances that led to this particular dispute between the Conservatives and the chief electoral officer appear to be unique to that party, which -- if I'm reading this right, at least -- was initially unaware of the fact that a change in the tax law meant it could qualify as a non-profit organization for GST rebate purposes.

1 comment:

Gayle said...

I have not read the case yet, but I would guess on the basis of that cryptic email the CPC sent to its supporters that it does not affect other parties. If it did the CPC would have openly declared the LPC have to send money back. Instead they just suggested they might.